Buying yardage still confusing you? Here some strategies:
Build as you go
Start small and build throughout the year
1. Choose a fabric collection you LOVE!
2. Buy a fat quarter or half metre (more of the ones you love) of the entire range
3. Buy 3m of the darkest dark (or something that matches; most fabric collections don’t extend from the lightest of lights to the darkest of darks)
4. Buy 2m of the white (or something that matches)
5. Divide your fabric into ‘medium to dark’ and ‘white to medium’. You don’t have to actually cut the fabric, but it may make things easier.
6. Now further divide your ‘medium to dark’ in two. Use one half for the first dark border, and set aside the rest for the second dark border.
7. Similarly, further divide your ‘light to medium’ in two. Use one half for the first light border, and set aside the rest for the second like border.
8. This way your quilt will have continuity as we build it from the centre outwards.
9. Then add fabric throughout the year.
A post illustrating how I did this with my fabrics: